Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ear Worms and Wimps



So today I was thinking about all the songs I get stuck in my head throughout a normal day. Here's a list of some top brain space contenders: "Stars of Track and Field" by Belle and Sebastian, the "Full House" theme, "More Holiness Give Me", plus about 5 gajillion inane songs from the top 40 station we listen to at work. I'm ashamed to admit that Chris Brown, Rihanna,
Jordin Sparks and the like (all of whom were blissfully absent from my brain space 6 months ago) are becoming permanent members of my psyche. And I just spent my first blog post talking about them. Brilliant. So I started thinking about the German phrase for "I have a song stuck in my head," namely, "Ich habe einen Ohrwurm"; which, being translated directly, means "I have an ear worm. Now there's an image. Then I started thinking about other funny German phrases (all whilst brushing my teeth five minutes ago)--specifically, some different ways to say wimp. I'm determined to find some more, but the two I do know are fantastic. The first is "Weichei", which, being translated directly, means "soft-boiled egg". The next is "Sitzpinkler", which, being translated directly, means "man who sits to make his number one-ly business". Fantastic, na?

1 comment:

jkribbit said...

Oh, what the heck?!?! You started your blog in true Lauren fashion and I love it!